It is with mixed feelings that we impose restrictions on the copying of our monthly Sky Calendar and Evening Skies. Our original intent in creating the Sky Calendar was to make an easy-to-follow guide to the night sky and distribute it as widely as possible. We wanted everyone to enjoy the sky as much as we do and believed the Sky Calendar would excite people's interest.
Although our "share the sky" philosophy is still foremost, it is now absolutely necessary that we obtain a fair return for all uses of the Sky Calendar / Evening Skies and have set the following policies:
1. Any non-profit, educational institution or group has permission to duplicate up to four issues per calendar year for educational use provided it:
2. Bulk orders of any issue of the Sky Calendar are available for resale at 22 cents per copy. Suggested retail price is 30 cents each. Minimum order is 25 copies per issue. Membership organizations and classes that wish to distribute more than four issues per year to their members may purchase copies in bulk, or can purchase reprint rights for the same price of 22 cents per copy and print the calendars themselves. Click here for a bulk order form (pdf file).
- Has a subscription to Sky Calendar directly from Abrams Planetarium (or membership in the Friends of Abrams Planetarium) and uses only copies distributed by Abrams Planetarium as originals for reprinting.
- Does not change or remove any information on the calendar or map.
- Does not charge recipients, other than for reproduction costs.
- Adds the credit line "Reprinted by permission of Abrams Planetarium."
- Submits a letter to Abrams Planetarium stating which four months it intends to reproduce and indicating approximately how many copies of each issue will be printed.
- Any additional mention of subscription availability will be appreciated.
3. Blocks from the Sky Calendar may be excerpted for publication provided the source (Abrams Planetarium) is clearly indicated and subscription information is fully stated (both address and price).
4. Please send us a copy of any issue of your publication in which our Sky Calendar or Evening Skies is reproduced or excerpted.
5. These policies are effective with the October 1998 issue of Sky Calendar and are subject to change.
By setting these policies, we are attempting to insure that no individual can obtain the equivalent of a subscription to the Sky Calendar
(12 issues) through methods that do not provide income to Abrams Planetarium. No individual should receive more than four reprinted copies per year. If you desire your membership to receive monthly copies, then see items (1) and (2) above.
We ask for your cooperation in following these reprint guidelines. The long term quality of the Sky Calendar depends both on your interest, as a Skywatcher, and the Sky Calendar's ability to produce income. We appreciate your support. If you have questions on these policies or potential uses not covered here, please contact the Abrams Planetarium office.